- XN Sports NFL Mock Draft 4.0 - Apr 10, 2015
- 6 Teams That Need To Win The 2015 NFL Draft - Apr 7, 2015
- Manziel, RGIII Among 6 NFL Players Facing A Make-Or-Break 2015 Season - Apr 6, 2015
As training camps across the NFL wrap up and the regular season nears, XN Sports will report the top headlines of each day.
With the preseason in full swing, there is no shortage of intrigue and optimism, key injuries, and potential holdouts, as well as late offseason signings.
Here are the top five headlines for Thursday:
Maclin burning Revis
Reports out of the Eagles-Patriots practice sessions indicate that Jeremy Maclin is burning Darrelle Revis when the two square off against each other. It’s a positive review for Maclin, who’s coming off a torn ACL and will be counted on to help replace DeSean Jackson.
Jeremy Maclin continues to toast Darrelle Revis in 1 on 1s. Looked right at us after beating him as if to say, “You reporters catch that?”
— Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane) August 13, 2014
It’s not great for Revis, who struggled last year with the Buccaneers. Revis perhaps is not 100 percent, which does not bode well for New England’s secondary.
Ellington’s snaps limited
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said running back Andre Ellington will be limited to about 20 touches per game, and his snaps will be on essentially a pitch count during the preseason, AZ Central reported.
Keep in mind this is Ellington’s first season as a feature back, and this Arians’ plan to keep the running back healthy for the entire season. Though the Cardinals will use a running back by committee approach, Ellington is going to be the team’s “bell cow.”
Backup quarterback garnering hype
Much of the talk of Wednesday was backup Cardinals quarterback Logan Thomas, who was one of the biggest question marks leading up to May’s NFL draft. Both ESPN and Sports on Earth had praise for the fourth-round pick.
FWIW: Ron Jaworski believes Cardinals QB Logan Thomas was most impressive rookie QB in week 1. Said he played like a Pro-Bowl player.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 13, 2014
4. Logan Thomas to John Brown may in fact be the future of this offense. Two good looking rooks right there.
— Dan Pompei (@danpompei) August 13, 2014
There was chatter that perhaps Thomas would have to switch positions in order to have an NFL career. Apparently that won’t be the case, per the hype he’s received. Perhaps his offensive-minded coach has a plan for him.
Quiet camp for Austin
Last year’s first-round pick in St. Louis is going to need a breakout 2014 season if the Rams are going to contend in the NFC West. So far, that has not been the case, according to a former Rams great.
From @BigGame81: Tavon Austin has been very quiet this camp. He was quiet the other night. And for a guy picked 8th, that bothers me.
— Tim McKernan (@tmckernan) August 12, 2014
Fan brawl at intersquad practice
A brawl ensued at the Raiders-Cowboys intersquad practice on Wednesday, and even the fans got involved. According to reports, a fan and Dallas cornerback B.W. Webb got into it with each other after the fan — a Raiders fan — hit Webb with a helmet.
- The Highest Paid NBA Stars Of Right Now
- Are All the Injuries Accrued in Week Two Due to No Pre-Season
- Horse Racings Wealthiest Events Worldwide
- Week 15 NFL Picks Against the Point Spread
- What is the best bet to make on Baseball?
- Week 12 NFL Picks Against the Point Spread
- Week 9 NFL Picks Against the Point Spread
- Week 7 NFL Picks Against the Point Spread
- How legal betting states will contribute to revenue growth across major US sports
- The XN Sports family would like to express our deep sorrow in the sudden passing of Kwame Beard